Wednesday, August 15, 2007

No. 105: Rocket to Russia


Band: The Ramones
Album: Rocket to Russia
Why Rolling Stone gets it right: The Ramones' third album features their biggest hit in "Rockaway Beach" and a much clearer production style. The band returns to their surf rock roots in covering "Do You Wanna Dance?" and "Surfin' Bird."
Why Rolling Stone gets it wrong: Blah blah, the Ramones are important. But, for me, The Ramones are bo-ring. Same song, over and over.
Best song: Well, "Rockaway Beach" charted at 66 as a single and it's a pretty good song.
Worst song: "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" is a little much. Narly three minutes of Ramones is about two minutes too much.
Is it awesome?: Meh. M-E-H.

Have you ever said "Hey, why didn't I think of that stupid concept?" when watching a TV show or a movie? Moreover, have you ever answered yourself by saying "Well, I didn't waste my time because I didn't think anyone would've liked this idea."

That's kind of how I feel with Ramones-copy bands. I see them a lot and think to myself "Hey, I could be in a band like that."

---

That's not to say the Ramones aren't good. They are. Their songs are pretty good, but it's hard for me to enjoy them. After three or four songs, I get really, really bored. Punk rock was born out of speeding up old rock and roll records and the Ramones did that better than anyone.

But, it gets boring. It just does. It's not close to a top 100 record. It's just not.

No comments: