Thursday, January 31, 2008

No. 348: At Newport 1960


Band: Muddy Waters
Album: At Newport 1960
Why Rolling Stone gets it right: Again, Muddy Waters shows why Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page can't hold a candle to the king. Waters' undeniable guitar skill and monstrous vocal talent. He hits all of his standards and barrels through them with an all-star band.
Why Rolling Stone gets it wrong: It's hard to discount this record. It's really amazing.
Best song: You'd be hard-pressed to argue with “Hoochie Coochie Man.” “I've Got My Mojo Working” or “I've Got My Brand On You.”
Worst song:"Goodbye Newport Blues" isn't perfect.
Is it awesome?: Yes.

I've never been a huge blues fan, but after hearing this and the “Folk Singer” record, I'm turned onto Muddy Waters. This record is the perfection of that form, with Waters and his band tearing through his best songs.

No comments: