Tuesday, November 13, 2007

No. 234: The Ultimate Collection


Band: Patsy Cline
Album: The Ultimate Collection
Why Rolling Stone gets it right: Patsy Cline exists in the same place as Hank Williams. She died early, she recorded a fair amount of stuff and her country music influence is similarly influential. "Crazy" itself put songwriter Willie Nelson on the map.
Why Rolling Stone gets it wrong: Placing Cline on this list is a hard thing to do. Like the early rock and rollers or Williams, she didn't record albums in the traditional way as bands like The Beatles or Stones. Not surprisingly, I'm not the world's biggest Patsy Cline fan.
Best song: "Walkin' After Midnight" and "Crazy" are both classics.
Worst song: "I Cried All the Way to the Altar" isn't great.
Is it awesome?: I don't really know. This isn't my type of music, but she's wildly important.

She's dead, she's popular and I don't get it. Next.

No comments: