Thursday, November 29, 2007

No. 258: American Beauty


Band: The Grateful Dead
Album: American Beauty
Why Rolling Stone gets it right: Containing three of the band's signature songs, "American Beauty" is a touchstone in the Dead timeline. In "Sugar Magnolia," "Truckin'" and "Box Of Rain," the album features a poppier direction for the band.
Why Rolling Stone gets it wrong: I know I should like the Dead, but I don't. They're innovative in combining the myriad folk styles of America (blues, country, bluegrass, rock, etc.), but they fall flat on me, for some reason.
Best song: "Truckin'" is a song I know because I listened to a lot of classic rock radio growing up. It's not bad.
Worst song: I can't stand "Attics of My Life."
Is it awesome?: This is clearly not my thing.

I can't give you a lot about the Grateful Dead, being that I don't care for them. So, instead, I'll give you some jokes about Deadheads:

What do you call a Deadhead whose girlfriend just broke up with him?
Homeless.

How do you know if a Deadhead has been in your house?
He's still there.

What's brown and looks great on a Deadhead?
A Doberman.

What's orange and red and looks great on a Deadhead?
Fire.

I'll be here all week. Please, tip your wait staff.

1 comment:

fft said...

I'll defend these guys since you're not into them. I like the dead, but I'll tell you what: it's not about the albums, its about the shows and the musicianship in the shows. This is the most "pop" dead album out there... fine to listen to but I can see it not being "awesome". Would recommend getting into one of the many Dicks Picks or Hundred Year Hall if you want to actually understand this band.