Wednesday, November 21, 2007

No. 246: The Shape of Jazz to Come


Band: Ornette Coleman
Album: The Shape of Jazz to Come
Why Rolling Stone gets it right: Easily one of the most influential jazz albums of all time, "The Shape of Jazz to Come" had Ornette Coleman working without the traditional mainframe of even improvisational jazz. There was no piano, had no particular chord structure and took a lot from the blues. It's fantastic.
Why Rolling Stone gets it wrong: I'm fine with this list placement.
Best song: "Lonely Woman" is a classic.
Worst song: It's jazz. It works as an album. All the songs are good.
Is it awesome?: Yes.

Jazz is like visual art. I like some pieces and I don't like others. I can't really explain why I like any of it; It just pleases me.

"The Shape of Jazz to Come" pleases me. Free jazz pleases me.

No comments: